Friday, April 27, 2012

Paint Party Friday: Week 7, Year 2 Check In Featured Artist: KAT Griffin

image courtesy of KAT Griffin

Welcome to Week  of Paint Party Friday (Year 2) and to the next edition of our Featured Artist Series! (Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? Please click here for details!) Our featured artist this week has been an active Paint Partyer and we are delighted to showcase her lovely and colourful art this week. Please welcome KAT Griffin of Kat's Nature!

1) Please tell us a bit about your personal history with painting. (When did you start painting? How has your painting evolved since you first started?)
I have always enjoyed all kinds of art. I remember when I took a special summer art class from a wonderful lady with a thick Spanish accent. She was the best art inspirational teacher ever. She appreciated abstract art, which was my art of choice to express myself in. The nuns at my little catholic grade school didn't quite understand what that was but I was learning to mix color and techniques in shadow and light and perspective …all important things.

2) What are your favorite techniques, media, and tools to use in creating your paintings?
My technique of choice is to be impressionistic and colorful and textural. I like all kinds of paint and oils are my favorite. I use palette knives and flat brushes a lot. I recently started using water mixable oil paints and I really like the ease of them and how much better it is to not have to use toxic chemicals.

3) What is your favorite thing to paint? Why?
I love to paint nature and birds and lately fresh fruits and cityscapes also.

4) What is your proudest painting moment and/or greatest painting achievement so far?
I am most proud to paint something requested by a family member. I did a cardinal for my 80 yr.old father for his birthday and he loves it. I also had a son ask for a lakefront scene of Chicago so I did that for him for his apartment in the city. His wonderful and creative friends all are so kind He told me that they like to look at my art via their computers, on my blog. Some of them started to talk about seeing human figures in the painting of Chicago, so I called it “Ghosts of Chicago”. I did a post all about it a while back on my blog.

image courtesy of KAT Griffin

5) What's next in your painting future?
Right now I am painting another city scape of my town of Cincinnati. I included a view of the oldest bridge in town spanning the Ohio River. It has quite a history I have found. I plan to have a post with photo of that painting finished soon.
Thanks for the chance to talk about my art experience! – KAT –

Thank you KAT! If you would like to see more of KAT's artwork, please visit her at:

Katethewayitis.blogspot.com

**Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? Click here for details!**

It was another fun and painting filled great party last week at PPF! Now, here is our check-in for this week's party:

Please make sure to use your post URL address NOT your blog home page URL address as there are many late visitors who get confused as to which post is for PPF when they arrive (after Friday) at your website. If you are unfamiliar with Mr. Linky, an explanation of how this tool works can be found on Week 1 and Week 2 Check-Ins.


Have a fun time painting and partying this week!

39 comments:

  1. Kathy is an amazing artist!!! wonderful interview!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great interview. I do know the feeling of Family members requesting a painting. It does seem like you have made it then. :)) Happy PPF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've missed PPF!! great interview with Kat. i love her bold, impressionistic style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the featured artist feature! ;-) I will check out Kat's blog next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat's work is always colorful and original. Love her birds. I must say I tried to get through the list of all the contributors for last Fridays PPF doing a few every day, but only managed the first column! I started from the beginning, so maybe this week I will start by going backwards tomorrow morning and each day after that until next Friday, or keep a list and every week try to hit the ones I haven't done before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks and great to meet another fab artist this week. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat's work is stunning - that landscape of Chicago is outstanding. I love the impressionist feel to her work. Thanks for keeping us all inspired on PPF every week. I've missed a couple already which I hate doing but hopefully, I'll find more time to work soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful work. I am always so amazed at all the talent that showcases here! Stunning indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work from Kat! Have a fun day you all! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love meeting the artists segment - awesome talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kat works are magnificent full of colorful, knowing their feelings and their projects has been instructive.
    Greetings to the artists friends of the PPF.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful to 'meet' Kat! Great interview, beautiful cityscape.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific to read about Kat, superb interview. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Everyone Happy PPf!

    Fabulous interview on Kat...shine on..wonderful to hear more about you!
    Gorgeous art..love the expressive colors..powerful!
    Wishing you all a beautiful wkd!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely amazing links to fab arty makes. Love the interview and all the pics. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for hosting, I enjoy seeing other artist's work. Such a neat way to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely interview, great work x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am such a beginner! This site is very inspirational to me. Thanks for hosting and for your informative interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought I wasn't getting time to paint till I visited a few PPF entries. As always all the artists inspired me to take up the brush without a second's delay. Thanks everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the interview, happy PPF everyone..

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is really great to help push me to keep on working and be inspired by so many others.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahhh, finally I am getting a comment box - I had trouble earlier. Wanted to wish everyone a happy PPF! Planning to make the rounds this weekend... :) silke

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the interview! Kat, your art is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Eva and Kristin, thanks for the interview and for hosting this creative party, have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy PPF, everyone! Glad to be (finally) joining in the party again! I've enjoyed the interviews each week. Thanks, again, Eva and Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am such a fan of Kat and Kat's paintings!!
    Thank you for featuring her this week!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful work Kat! Happy PPF, I've missed the last couple of weeks. Hope you're all happily painting!
    ♥Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love Kat's paintings!!! It's great to be back. I've missed you all.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love her paintings! Thanks for all you do every week. I love PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooooo... I love the texture of Kat's work! It's like colorful frosting!
    Looking forward to seeing everyone else's work too!
    Renee
    Happy painting...
    xoxo
    www.fussitup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful! I'm really loving these featured artist's!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm a little late to the party, but that just means I have 87 paintings already hung to look at! Huzzah! Thank you all for being here!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is my first week posting - can't wait to look at all the other inspiration that has been linked!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just posted another one, hope it is okay Eva & Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  35. A wonderful guest artist...... I realy like Kat's blue bird.
    I am two days late, but don't appear to be the only latecomer
    Have a brilliant week.
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. wow this is cool to be featured !
    I am blushing !
    - KAT -

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm new here and just a little intimidated(!!) But what a wonderful place to learn from and celebrate others. Beautiful work, KAT! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and processes!

    ReplyDelete